Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homemade BAGELS!!!




http://bakingbites.com/2007/06/homemade-bagels/#more-783


So my favorite thing in the whole world is bread!!! pretty much any kind of bread, and that includes bagels!! I was so excited to find this recipe and I had to try it out right away!

so here they are... not the prettiest things but I didn't feel like making them perfect :)


*There are more pics on how to shape them if you click on the link above!*



Bagels



1 TBS yeast

1 TBS sugar

1 3/4 cups water (100-110 F)

4 cups bread flour (NOT all purpose)

1 TBS salt (I thought it was a little much, next time I'll try 3/4 TBS and see if it is too bland... I'll let you know!)

1 egg, for egg wash



In a large bowl or mixer combine yeast, water and sugar, let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and salt. Mix dough thoroughly until it comes together in a large ball, pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Add an additional TBS of water or flour if you need to. Knead dough for about 10 minutes until it is elastic and smooth. (If you knead in your mixer- low speed for abt 8 mins, I always like to hand knead it) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let it rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.



Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil (and preheat your oven now)



Turn dough out on a slightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces (I did mine bigger so I only made 8) Shape into a ball and let the dough rise for 30 minutes covered with a clean dish towel.

Then poke a hole through the middle with your finger. Make the hole bigger than you want your end result, because the hole will shrink as it cooks. Let the rings of dough sit for 10 more minutes.

Drop the bagels into the boiling water and let them boil for 2 minutes on one side then flip and boil them for one minute on the other side. transfer them onto a clean towel to drain for a minute. Then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet (I didn't have parchment paper so the bottoms of my bagels were a little crunchy but they were still good!) Brush the boiled bagels with the lightly beaten egg.



Cook at 400 degrees for 20-24 mins (until golden brown)

Slice and toast to served!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive, I showed one of my customers and She couldn't believe you made bagels.

    ReplyDelete