Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sopapillas

I am an assistant to the activity day girls for church and we had a "fiesta" on Tuesday night. I made sopapillas for dessert... honestly I don't know if they eat these in Mexico, but growing up they were "Mexican food" to me.

I had these at my Great Uncle Glenn's when we went for 4th of July and my mom got the recipe from them, thankfully!!


Sopapillas

2 cups hot mashed potatoes (instant or real, either way should work... I used instant)
1 TBS salt
2 cups milk
2 TBS sugar
4 TBS butter, melted
1 TBS yeast
2 eggs, well beaten
6 cups flour
Oil for deep frying


Mix the milk, salt, sugar, and melted butter. Add potatoes (really hot) then let the mixture sit until warm. Add the beaten eggs. Let the yeast dissolve in a little bit of luke warm water, then add it to the potato mixture. The dough will be really sticky. Stir in the flour and knead lightly, just enough to mix in the flour. Let it rise to twice it's size, knead lightly again, rise it to twice it's size a second time. Roll out to about 1" thickness. Cut into the size you desire. Dough needs to be sticky so just use enough flour so you can handle it (I like to use cooking spray on my hands instead of flour) Deep fry until golden. I drizzled some honey and butter on half of them and the other half I sprinkled cinnamon sugar over them.

1 comment:

  1. OK since you didn't say anything about them, I will First the Recipe.
    Flour
    Water
    Salt mix it all up and make little dough balls , roll out flat, deep fry in hot oil , and ta daaaa Sopapillas

    ReplyDelete