Monday, March 22, 2010

Crescent Rolls


These are the Crescent Rolls I made for the chicken salad sandwiches. I got this recipe from my friend Holly.

So the first batch I made... FAIL. Somehow I forgot milk ... which means I didn't soften the yeast at all and it turned out looking like sugar cookies and tasted not so hot. BUT I tried again and actually followed the recipe and... mmmm so good!!

Here is the first batch I made, not pretty!
Crescent Rolls
(I just copied and pasted so these are her words cuz she is the expert... you can see how mine turned out haha)

1/2 cup butter + more to melt on top of rolls at end
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 package (1 Tablespoon/ 1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 teas. salt
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 c. flour
This looks much better! :)


1. In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Dissolve yeast in warm milk *I warm it up in the microwave*; add to creamed mixture. Add salt and 1 cup flour; beat until blended. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.

* I use 4 cups or less but I know it changes depending on where you are. Just try to use as little flour as possible so your dough is softer. I usually add about 3 cups and then have another cup to the side and work it in when I'm kneading the dough so that I use less. It should be soft but not sticky.

2. knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (I never time it). Place in a greased bowl, turn over once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled.

3. Punch dough down. Turn on lightly floured surface (sometimes I don't use any flour or I use cooking spray to avoid using more flour). Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-inch circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. ** for your bigger crescent rolls only cut it into like 8. its easiest to cut it into quarters and then cut each quarter into two or three depending on what size you want.**
roll up the triangles you cut and place down on greased baking sheets 2 in. apart. Curve end down to form crescents. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes, until doubled.

4. Bake at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. ** watch closely , you don't want to burn it after all that work,and I've come close** remove from pans to wire racks. brush melted butter over warm rolls.

yield - 24 or if your doing the bigger ones, 16 (** I made bigger ones for the chicken salad sandwiches)

Store in air tight container, or freeze in airtight container to keep them fresh if you have a lot. I like to warm it up in the microwave with honey and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment