Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Navajo Tacos (Fried Bread)


This is my "Birthday Meal"! Growing up my mom always let us choose what was for dinner on our birthdays and I always chose fried bread!

Fried Bread

2 cups flour
1/4 TBS salt
3/4 TBS baking powder
1/8 cup shortening
water
Mix the flour salt and baking powder, then add the shortening. Add water until it is a smooth dough (I guess I'll have to actually pay attention to how much I put next time!!) Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for 2 minutes then shape into balls (make 7-8) then cover and let rise for about 30 minutes (not gonna lie I only let them rest for 10-15 minutes... but I'm impatient! :P) Meanwhile get a 3 qt saute pan (I think that is what it is called :) it is like a skillet but has tall sides) and put enough canola oil in it to deep fry the dough.
Roll out each ball into a really thin disc, I should have taken pictures because it is hard to remember how thick or what diameter they are rolled out to without seeing it... oops! They are pretty thin and then once you deep fry them they puff up and you don't want to leave it to thick or it will be too dense. Deep fry until it is golden brown on one side then flip and cook until golden on the other side. I use tongs to flip and get out and set it onto a baking sheet that is covered with paper towels or a brown paper bag to soak up the excess oil.

Serve with Chili Meat, Refried Beans, Shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, hot sauce, and whatever else your little heart desires!!!

Chili Meat

I used leftover roast meat that we had in the freezer or you can get beef chunks and shred them up

Chili Powder to taste

Cayenne Pepper if you like it spicy

Onion powder just a dash or two

salt to taste!!

1 comment: