Sunday, April 25, 2010

Orange Chicken


OH MY GOSH!!!! This was seriously SO good!!! I will definitely make this again, it is a little time consuming but luckily I had my friend Jen here to help me, and she mixed up all of the sauces while I cut and cooked the chicken.

I served it with some white rice and mixed vegetables, fried rice and fortune cookies are on my "to make list" but I figured I'd try one at a time because that would be a lot to take on for one meal!



I got this recipe from here on cdkitchen.com

Orange Chicken
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 2 inch pieces
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper
Oil for frying
1/2 cup corn starch + 1 TBS
1/4 cup flour
1 TBS minced ginger root (I shredded it with the really small cheese grater... worked great!!!)
1 TBS minced garlic (same thing with the grater!)
1 dash crushed hot red chilies
1/4 cup water
1 tsp sesame oil
Orange Chicken Sauce
1 1/2 TBS soy sauce
1 1/2 TBS water
5 TBS sugar
5 TBS white vinegar
Cut the chicken into 2 inch cubes, place in a large bowl. Stir in the egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of oil, mix well. Stir 1/2 cup cornstarch and flour together. Add the chicken to cornstarch mixture. Heat oil to 375 degrees (I never know how hot my oil really is...) Fry until golden brown or crisp, 3-4 minutes. Put onto a baking sheet covered with paper towel. Set aside.
Heat wok (I used a 10 inch skillet) for 15 seconds over high heat. Add ginger and garlic (and if you'd like to add the green onions do it now, 1/4 cup chopped) and the crushed chili. Add the orange sauce and bring to a boil. Add cooked chicken until well mixed. Add water into 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until smooth (for thickening) Add the chicken and heat until thickened. Stir in 1/2 TBS oil and the sesame oil. Also you can add the zest of one orange for flavor, I didn't have an orange so I just skipped it.


P.S. For the rice put a cup of rice with 2 cups water into a medium sauce pan over high heat and cover. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for a few minutes then turn it to low and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Until the water is gone and the rice is soft.

2 comments:

  1. I got a tip at Wasabi for fried rice...he said they use soy bean oil in a lot of their dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh really?? I'll have to try it out! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete