Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fortune Cookies


I didn't get a very good picture, sorry! These were really good! I had a hard time shaping them at first but then I got the hang of it after a little bit (as you can see all of the weird shapes on my plate!) :) It was fun to try these and I didn't think it'd be so easy! I didn't put fortunes in them... I know I'm lame, but it was just for family dinner, maybe if we had company I would've. :P

I got this recipe from here, it is a really great website for finding lots of different things to make! Only things I changed were I just used regular granulated sugar because I didn't have super fine sugar and instead of almond extract I used vanilla extract.

Fortune Cookies
5 TBS sugar
4 egg whites
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup sifted all purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
3 TBS heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter over low heat in a small sauce pan. In an electric mixer combine egg whites and sugar, beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add flour and salt and beat until combined. Coat your baking sheet with cooking spray (very important!) and pour one TBS of batter onto one side. Spread with a spoon into a thin 5 inch circle. Repeat on the other side of the sheet. Bake until edges turn golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Place baking sheet on a heat resistant surface. Working quickly slide a spatula under one of the cookies and transfer to a dish towel. Fold the cookie in half and then fold the folded edge so it poofs out on the sides and folds into the middle (so it looks like a fortune cookie), it is hard to explain but while you do it hopefully it'll make sense! Repeat with other cookies. Try to work fast because they harden quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment