Monday, June 28, 2010

Calzones


Before my trip I made a few of these for my hubby to eat while I was away, someday I'll teach him how to cook for himself !:)


These turned out pretty good they were a little drier than I would've liked so I'll figure that out later. (Or you can just dip them in sauce, but you know me... too picky for my own good!)

For the dough I tweaked my mom's pizza dough recipe a little then just threw some yummy stuff together to make the filling!

Calzones

Dough:
1 c. warm water
1 TBS yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp shortening
1/8 tsp garlic powder
flour (abt. 3/4 cups)

Soften the yeast in the water, add the sugar and salt. Add garlic powder and shortening. Add the flour until it is a smooth touchable dough.

Filling:
12 oz Ricotta cheese
3/4 c. Mozzarella cheese
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1 tsp Garlic salt
Salt and Pepper
20 Pepperoni, quartered
1 TBS Parmesan/Romano

I didn't measure it all out but I kinda guessed so if it isn't enough add more and just go by taste with the seasonings to make it how you like it.

With this recipe you can make 2 really big calzones (which is what I did... think half of a pizza big) or 4 smaller ones.

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Separate your dough into 2 equal parts (4 for making smaller ones) and roll it out into a circle. Put the filling in half of the circle away from the edges. Fold over the other side of the dough,covering the filling. starting from one corner pinch and pull the dough up and continue around the whole edge until it is sealed, next time I'll take more detailed pictures for this step cuz it is pretty simple but I didn't really get how to do it at first. My hubby learned this trick for sealing empanadas on his mission in Argentina and he showed me how. Or if you don't know how to do that just clamp down on the edges with a fork, like I used to do :) Hopefully one of those ways makes sense or your filling will spill out all over the pan and that is never fun! ANYWAYS... put a little cornmeal down on the pan so it wont stick, and bake for about 7-10 minutes, until it is starting to get brown. If it is still doughy leave it in a little longer (I'm really good at giving instructions huh?? sorry :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment