Thursday, October 7, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas


I wrote this recipe down a long time ago and don't remember where I got it!

They turned out pretty good, but I think I'm gonna stick with store bought ones for now! :)

Flour Tortillas

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 heaping tsp salt

5 TBS shortening or lard

3/4 cup warm water

I used the whisk attachment on my kitchen aid for the beginning of the recipe then I used the dough hook. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the shortening and mix until mixture is uniformly crumbly. While mixing slowly stream in the water, until the dry ingredients form a ball. Knead for 30 seconds; it should clean the sides of the bowl. It should be soft, not sticky.

Turn out onto a floured surface. Divide into golf ball sized (2 oz each... I just guessed... and didn't do a great job hehe) I made some bigger ones for burritos too. Cover with a kitchen towel and let them rest for about 10 minutes.

Heat a large sauté pan over medium/high heat.

Sprinkle your surfaces with a little bit of flour and also dust the top of your ball with flour. Roll balls into thin rounds with a rolling pin (will require some arm muscles!! My arms got so tired by the end… but I’m pretty weak so that’s not really saying much)

Lay tortilla flat in the heated pan and cook on each side for about 20 seconds until the bubbles areas are browned.


Keep the cooked tortillas covered with a towel to keep them warm and pliable. Eat them while they are still warm!


On the burrito I put a little bit of leftover Chili Meat, Homemade refried beans, cheese, some hot sauce and served with sour cream, they were delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment